- Bachelors Degree in Electrical Engineering (Telecommunications Strand) from the University of Technology, Sydney in 1991.
- Masters Degree in Islamic Studies from Charles Sturt University, Sydney in 2012.
- Mehmet had an Engineering Scholarship with State Rail Authority of New South Wales (NSW) as a Telecommunications Undergraduate Engineer from 1986-1991.
- He worked as a Project Engineer from 1991-1993 at State Rail Authority of NSW.
- In 1993 he moved to Optus as a Network Engineer and served in that role until 1995.
- From 1995 until now, Mehmet has worked in various Leadership roles and is currently Network Strategy Manager in Optus’ Networks Division.
- Mehmet Saral has been involved in Community work for the last 25 years.
- He was a Director of Feza Foundation, a charity organisation which built three private schools in Australia, from 1998 to 1999. He has also been an executive member from 1996 to 2000.
- He was the co-founder and Company Secretary of the Affinity Intercultural Foundation from 2001 to 2006.
- He was the President of Affinity Intercultural Foundation from 2007 to March 2012.
- Mehmet is currently Chairman of Galaxy Foundation (formerly Feza Foundation) and he is also a Director at Affinity.
- On behalf of Affinity, Mehmet has co-hosted the Affinity Friendship & Dialogue iftar dinner between 2009 and 2011 at NSW Parliament Housealong with a Minister from current Government and a Shadow Minister from the Opposition to make it bipartisan. He has also co-initiated the Australian Affinity Awards program since 2005, where Australians who have gone beyond the call of duty receive an award in creating social cohesion in the categories of interfaith, education, academia, public service, youth, community and media.
- Mehmet has also been instrumental in advising the then Premier of NSW, The Hon Bob Carr, back in 2004, to conduct a NSW State Premiers Iftar during the Islamic month of Ramadan, which would allow the Muslim community leaders a sense of integration in to wider Australian society. This iftar has been continuing annually in NSW Parliament House.
- He organised the bi-annual National Social Cohesion Conferences from 2005 until 2011. In 2011, the theme of the conference was “Enrichment through a socially inclusive society: challenges and solutions”.
- Mehmet assisted in the creation of ISRA, Islamic Sciences & Research Academy, in 2009, which conducts the Islamic studies curriculum in Charles Sturt University. This was an organisation that sprung out from Affinity.
- Mehmet has served at Auburn Gallipoli Mosque from year 2000 to 2007. He has worked to make the mosque inclusive and open by many outreach projects. He has served in the visitor services team that has provided tours in the mosque for more than 50,000 people to date.
- Mehmet is one of the co-founders and executive adviser to the Bayram Turkish Cultural Association, which is a non-profit organization that promotes the Turkish culture to wider Australian society.
- Mehmet is also a founding Director of Bluestar Intercultural Centre, which is based in Canberra.